Tuesday, January 22, 2013
16. And the Manipulation Continues...
I walk into Robert's classroom today to pick him up. As we're heading out the door, his teacher comes up and to me and quietly says, "We're a little concerned about Robert."
I get worried, "What happened?"
"Well, he is very lethargic..."
That's odd, because I soon as he just saw me, he ran to me smiling and jumping around.
"...He couldn't open the zipper to his backpack or put his folders in it. We had to do a lot of hand over hand today. Maybe his medication is making him this way."
The teacher was referring to the ADHD medication Daytrana. It made Robert aggressive so I took him off it.
"Robert has not been on his medication for about two months, so it can't be that. Are you sure he's not playing you?"
"What? He's playing us?"
"Ummm... yes. He hasn't had this problem before has he?"
"No."
"If he does this again, just make him do the work. It's his way of getting out of doing something."
Teacher yells to her assistant teacher, "He's playing us!"
I then ask Robert, "Are you sneaky?"
He looks at me smiling, "Yes!"
There you have it.